Lagnus the Brave
|Lagnus the Brave|
Lagnus, as he appears in Puyo Puyo Chronicles
|Other Names||Lagnus Bishasi|
|Age||17 (normally), 10 (cursed)|
|First appearance||Puyo Puyo Sun|
|Latest appearance||Puyo Puyo Chronicles|
|Japanese||Tomoko Miura (Puyo Puyo~n)|
Akira Miki (Puyo Puyo!! Quest)
|Puyo Puyo!! Quest information|
|Lagnus • Powerful Lagnus|
Lagnus the Brave, also known as Lagnus Bishasi (ラグナス・ビシャシ), is a "Light Warrior" from another world. He wields the Reactor Blade and serves as a counterpart to Schezo Wegey and his dark magic. He is 17, but a curse causes him to revert to a ten-year-old. He regains his maturity by leveling up (which clearing Puyo allows him to do), but the effects seem to be only temporary. He has a strong sense of heroic justice, but to an extreme fault at times.
- 1 Biography
- 2 Appearances
- 3 Trivia
- 4 Appearances
- 5 Character-specific mechanics
- 6 Gallery
Lagnus has brown hair, brown eyes, and is clad in gold armor. He intentionally bears strong resemblance to classic JRPG heroes. He wields the Reactor Blade, a long sword that he swings with two hands. Notably, Lagnus' age shifts between 17 and 10, the former being his default age.
He has a heroic disposition, not afraid to vanquish the evils of the world. He means well, and is averse to darkness. This aspect of his personality has later been exaggerated to the point of parody, making his heroic tendencies difficult to take seriously. His spirit is mature, but when he ages down, he is prone to throwing bratty fits when he isn't taken seriously.
As a warrior, he exhibits high proficiency in swordsmanship. He also has access to a myriad of light magic such as Holy Arrow, Mega Rave, and his most powerful attack, Final Cross. However, most of his abilities are stunted the moment he ages down.
Madou Monogatari (Saturn)
Lagnus and his back story play a central role in the game's plot, and is questionably the main character, despite the fact Arle is the one being controlled. His starting armor in the game is 100% Light, meaning Dark attacks have no effect. He also has massive Healing capabilities.
At the beginning of the game, he ventures out to the Grand Sealing Tower to finish off the monsters, whom he believes are trying to destroy his world. The player controls him for a short time, with access to all of his special techniques. When he reaches the top and slays the last monster, the true villains, strange plant like monsters known as Yyouggs, appear. Lagnus tries to vanquish them, but is defeated, realizing they exist in many other dimensions. He is then warped to Arle's world, and Lagnus' world is promptly destroyed afterwords. Later on, when is found in Arle's world, the effects of his curse finally take place, and Lagnus is in the middle of his first regression. After exchanging stories, learning Arle is also fending off the same hostile monsters, they agree to help each other.
Puyo Puyo Sun
In Puyo Puyo Sun, Lagnus was faced in both Arle and Schezo's stories. In Arle's story, Arle finds him killing a Puyo in order to level up. He then, much to Arle's dumb luck, challenges her to Puyo, only to have his pants fall down. In Schezo's story, Lagnus is still a teenager when he arrives (due to Arle's encounter with him earlier). Lagnus, probably knowing that Schezo is a dark warrior/wizard, charges him, but Schezo dodges. The failed attack shrinks Lagnus back into a kid again, and Schezo pokes fun at him. Lagnus then starts to have a fit and challenges Schezo.
In Puyo Puyo~n, Lagnus is not part of the plot. However, he's featured in promotional group art, suggestion he was at least considered. He cameos in the Mission Mode (Nazo Puyo), where he appears in the last missions on the Normal difficulty. Winning the last mission turns him into a kid. He has only 1-2 voice clips compared to the others (except for other fellow cameos like Minotauros and Honey Bee).
In the Gameboy Color Pocket Puyo Puyo~n however, Lagnus can be challenged as a computer opponent in one of the single player modes, using a prototype design for his fighting pixel art (also only appearing in his kid form). He re uses his Puyo Puyo SUN voice clips.
Minna de Puyo Puyo
Here, Arle crosses paths with Lagnus again. Lagnus offers to protect Arle from the Dangers of Satan's castle. However, Lagnus is in his kid form, and Arle mistakes him for a child playing pretend. This angers Lagnus, so they fight another Puyo match.
Later on, he appears in the Trial Labrynth, explaining that the place is for those who wish to level up. He also explains that everyone Arle faces in the Labrynth is a illusion. He too, is an illusion. This leaves Arle in a confused state, and their 3rd and final story Puyo match together ensues.
- Lagnus is one of the few Puyo characters to appear in a Madou game after his Puyo debut.
- Lagnus first appeared in the Shin Madou Monogatari novel series before Puyo Puyo Sun.
- Lagnus' Birthday is April 1st, which is also April Fools day.
- This may coincide with Lagnus' running gag of being mistaken for a child or being humiliated during his cutscenes.
- Lagnus has appeared in two games where he was only depicted in his kid form. However, both of them were on a Gameboy family handheld, and both of them featured reused SUN voice clips.
- Lagnus is one of the few characters in Quest with more than one set of voice clips, the others being Niji Iruka and Gnome.
- This is because he is depicted in both his kid form (original ☆3) and adult form (all other rarities) in this game.
- Lagnus is the only character that is not a Quest-original character to do so.
- Despite being a Light Warrior and opposite counterpart to Schezo, he is assigned the Purple color in Quest and Quest Arcade, typically associating with darkness and the same color as Schezo.
- Pocket Puyo Puyo~n
- 13-Hard Drop: The opponent receives 6 Hard Puyo.
- Puyo Puyo Box
- Slice: Erase every odd row of the player's Puyo, with the bottom-most row counting as Row 1.