Puyo Puyo Tetris 2
|Puyo Puyo Tetris 2|
|Platform||PlayStation 4, PlayStation 5, Xbox One, Xbox Series X, Nintendo Switch, Windows|
|Release date||PlayStation 4,|
Xbox One, &
Puyo Puyo Tetris 2 (ぷよぷよテトリス 2) is the sequel to Puyo Puyo Tetris, announced in a Nintendo Direct Mini: Partner Showcase on August 26th, 2020.
It is set to be released internationally first on December 8, 2020, then on December 10th, 2020 in Japan. The release window for the PlayStation 5 And Xbox Series X versions is slated to be Holiday 2020. In Japan, the Xbox One and Xbox Series X versions will be exclusively digital.
There are confirmed to be 8 more (unknown) characters, for a total of 28.
- Endless Puyo
- Endless Fever
- Tiny Puyo
- Sprint (40-line)
- The basic battle rule. Each player can choose either Puyo Puyo (using Tsu rules) or Tetris (using modern gameplay mechanics). A match can start even with players choosing different modes. If a Tetris player has at least one Puyo opponent, all Tetris attacks get stored in an Attack Gauge and only sent when a Tetrimino does not clear a line.
- Each player swaps between Puyo Puyo and Tetris gameplay every twenty-five seconds. The game does not wait for the current piece to finish dropping before swapping, and the current piece will continue to drop (without player control) after the swap. Clears started before the change can combo with furthers clear in the current field, creating extra damage. This is called a "Swap Combo."
- Big Bang
- Similar to Versus, except the Puyo Puyo player is in Fever mode and the Tetris player has "Lucky Attack."
- After each round of Fever (Lucky Attack), the nuisance created will be sucked into black holes and explode in the namesake revelation. Those who created less nuisance will have nuisance crashing the field. A player is eliminated when their field is completely shattered, and the last person standing is the winner.
- The players compete for score and can use items in battle. Items can be a personal buff or a debuff sent to other players.
- In an 8x16 board, both Puyos and Tetriminos fall following character-specific dropsets. Tetriminos can crush stacks of Puyo and only color Puyos reappear later from the top. Similar to the Active rule in Puyo Puyo!! 20th Anniversary, the next pieces can be dropped even when a chain is in progress of clearing, or when a Tetrimino is left to slowly crush Puyo.
- The dropset consists of eight Puyo drops (post-Fever), two Tetriminos and one special drop, which can be a piece that switches repeatedly between Puyos and a Tetrimino, or a golden 1-to-2-block Tetris piece.
- Skill Battle
- Each player recruits a team of three characters and attempts to reduce the opponent's HP bar to 0. There are two means of receiving HP damage, either by topping out, which resets the playfield, or by receiving garbage. Each character of the team has a skill that can be activated for various effects, including modifying the field, buffing and debuffing, etc. and cost mana points (MP) that are displayed as another bar.
- Characters have a leveling system and can be upgraded by playing the Adventure mode to increase team stats and learn new skills. Item cards can also be equipped during a match to increase stats and gain special effects; and they are also dropped in Adventure mode.
- Puyo Puyo Tetris 2 is the first Puyo Puyo game to receive an international release prior to being released in Japan.
- Its development was first alluded to in a survey released by Sega of America in May of 2020.
- The Australian Classification Board rated the game PG according to a tweet which grew infamously popular for mentioning "mild sexual innuendo", leading to mass speculation that Schezo would be included.
- Character Art
- Sega Tokyo game show online 2020 (https://youtu.be/OiNvKmg9cOE)