Ocean Prince as he appears in Puyo Puyo Tetris 2 and Puyo Puyo!! Quest
Sarude ・Kanaaru・Shelburikku sansei ōji
|Other Names||Prince Salde Canarl Shellbrick III|
Prince of ocean
The Ocean Prince (Puyo Puyo Tetris 2)
물고기 왕자 (Mulgogi wangja)
Prinz des Ozeans
|First appearance||Puyo Puyo Fever|
|Latest appearance||Puyo Puyo Tetris 2|
Unconfirmed(Puyo Puyo Fever)
Erin Fitzgerald (Puyo Puyo Tetris)
|Puyo Puyo!! Quest information|
Ocean Prince (Prince of ocean in Puyo Puyo Fever or The Ocean Prince in Puyo Puyo Tetris 2) is the fish form of the human prince Prince Salde Canarl Shellbrick III. He is able to take this form thanks to Lemres' magic as seen in Puyo Puyo Fever 2 and the drama CD volume 2. He is constantly on the run from his butler, Otomo, who attempts to bring him home in Puyo Puyo Fever 2 and Puyo Puyo!! 20th Anniversary.
- 1 Biography
- 2 History
- 3 Appearances
- 4 Character profiles
- 5 Trivia
- 6 Character specific mechanics
- 7 Chants
- 8 Gallery
- 9 Notes
Ocean Prince is a pink fish with a white underbelly, yellow fins, purple gills and tail fin, a pointed mouth, and his eyes have a distinct 4-pointed star pattern for his pupils.. The only article of clothing he wears is a medallion with a star imprinted on it held by a collar, and a three point crown that has a swirl imprint on it.
In his true, human form, Ocean Prince has the same crown, eyes, medallion, and cape as his fish form. His clothes consist of a pink tunic with a white stripe, yellow gloves, brown pants, and white boots.
He is one of the few characters that doesn't go through design changes, only having minor proportion changes with his fins.
Salde is a young, haughty, and spoiled prince that finds his royal life stifling and detests the monotony of his princely duties, which is why he transformed himself into a fish to run away from home. Salde is prideful and aware of his status as he tries to bribe people he meets, especially Sig, into working as his servant by promising to provide them with three meals a day.
In the Japanese games, his speech is rendered in katakana when he is in his fish form. In the Puyo Puyo!! 20th Anniversary and Puyo Puyo Chronicle translations by Precise Museum, he speaks in Early Modern English and uses some French expressions.
The Ocean Prince, like most characters in the Puyo Puyo series, is very skilled with magic. His spells are based on water and marine life, such as his Dolphin Smash. This spell is often the first spell he uses when making a chain, and is his most consistent spell in all his playable appearances, with the rest of his spells changing from game to game. In his debut in Puyo Puyo Fever, his spells were Dolphin Smash, Crust Guard, Big Wave, Barracuda Spin, and Trident Billow. In some of his more recent playable appearances, his spells are Dolphin Smash, Shark's Bite, Whale Charge, Trident Billow, and Prince's Dignity. Other games have had him use Whale Whale, Dugong Trap, Squid Blow, Octopus Spin, and Crown of Thorns.
- Lemres is the magician who granted Ocean Prince his fish form, and he can transform him back and forth between human and fish. According to Puyo Puyo Drama CD Volume 2, the two met for the first time when Lemres was hiding from his servants while visiting Primp Town. Lemres was shocked, but inspired by Salde's selfishness in running away from home, and felt compelled to leave his own home and travel to different places. Since Salde inspired him, Lemres feels indebted to him and gladly grants his requests whenever he asks.
- The Ocean Prince enjoys playing pranks on Otomo, often escaping the castle to avoid his royal duties. Despite this, Otomo does not hold any ill will towards the Ocean Prince, in fact being quite fond of him.
- In Puyo Puyo Fever 2, during the WakuWaku course, Sig becomes the Ocean Prince's servant, after he is promised a daily nap and walk, and three meals a day. This relationship is not touched upon until the HaraHara course, where the Ocean Prince, now in a human form, approaches Sig and requests that they find the Star Lantern, so that the prince may turn back into a fish. He accompanies Sig through the rest of the course, and is genuinely grateful towards Sig once his fish form is restored.
He is the third opponent of the Hara Hara Course. Raffina encounters him on the way to the cane, and her refusal to listen to his demands initiates the battle.
This is the game where Ocean Prince's true, human form debuted and the game where he spends the most time in his human form. He plays a major role in the Raffina's WakuWaku and Sig's HaraHara courses. In the former, Raffina is tasked by his butler Otomo to track him down so he can return to the castle. In the latter, he is in his human form and appoints Sig as his servant and tasks him with retrieving the Star Lantern to transform him back into a fish. Throughout the entire game, he is only fought once in Sig's WakuWaku course.
In Ocean Prince's story for 15th Anniversary, he is first approached by Raffina about his life as a fish, after him explaining that there's more than just swimming and mentions treasure, she demands he give details. After that for the 2nd battle, Oshare Bones meets up with Salde and he of course ask's about treasure he can buy off, eventually Oshare has an idea. A royal ball at the palace, at first Salde is somewhat objected to the idea of a ball but comes to an agreement and through out his story brings up the ball and has desires to host it. In the end his wish with the medal is for his people, them becoming servants.
Ocean Prince is once again running from Otomo. He runs into Ringo, Amitie, Raffina, Sig, Risukuma, Schezo, Lemres and lastly Witch. After battling Witch, Otomo "Hear's his grievances" and plans to keep him company and promises to not scold him again.
In this game, Ocean Prince is delegated to minor appearances and cameos, such as him meeting Suketoudara in space. His dropset instead is playable with Zed.
Ocean Prince is one of the default playable characters, but is optional to recruit in the story mode since he is found in a subquest. This is notably the first time he and Arle ever meet.
While Ocean Prince does not have a role in Puyo Puyo Tetris 2, he was added to the playable roster on January 14, 2021, along with Sonic, Lidelle and Ms. Accord, as a part of the first free update wave.
- Puyo Puyo Fever
- Puyo Puyo Fever 2
- Puyo Puyo! 15th Anniversary
- Puyo Puyo!! 20th Anniversary
- Puyo Puyo Tetris (Cameo)
- Puyo Puyo Chronicle
- Puyo Puyo Tetris 2 (DLC)
See the respective PPQ-namespace card pages of Ocean Prince for the character's in-game description in Puyo Puyo!! Quest.
|"The prince of the sea. He can be pretty selfish without realizing it.|
He sometimes takes a human form when he uses a particular spell."
- In fish form, he speaks entirely in katakana, perhaps to reflect the strange quality his fish form gives his voice. In fan translations of Puyo Puyo!! 20th Anniversary and Puyo Puyo Chronicle, this is reflected by substituting "s" for "z" in his speech and "the" for "ze".
- Ocean Prince's name in Japanese is さかな王子 (sakana ōji, lit. "Fish Prince"). This seems to be a joke abbreviation on his true name: Prince Salde Canarl Shellbrick III, the bolded portions create the Japanese word "sakana" or "fish".
- Alternate voice notes:
- In Puyo Puyo Chronicle, he adopts a coward personality, similarly to Raffina's alternate voice in Puyo Puyo!! 20th Anniversary.
- In Puyo Puyo Tetris 2, all of his line are in his human form's voice.
- In the English version, he adopts a British accent, and bears a slight resemblance to his voice in the English Puyo Pop Fever dub.
- Before Ocean Prince's official reveal for Puyo Puyo Tetris 2, his presence was implied by the game crediting Naomi Wakabayashi, his voice actress, along with several other characters (including Accord and Sonic the Hedgehog, who were released alongside him).
Character specific mechanics
Nearly identical to Zed's dropset, with SP Tetrimino being modified.
Ice Blocks Nuisance Pattern
Due to the large number of chants for Ocean Prince, the full list is moved to a separate page. See Ocean Prince/Chants.
Due to the large number of images for Ocean Prince, the gallery is moved to a separate page. See Ocean Prince/Gallery.
- Precise Museum's translation notes
- Puyo Puyo!! 20th Anniversary