Marle as she appears in Puyo Puyo Tetris 2
|Other Names||The Dimensional Parasite (While possessed)|
JP: 時空のバグ (Jikuu no Bagu)
|First appearance||Puyo Puyo Tetris 2|
|Latest appearance||Puyo Puyo!! Quest|
|English||Megan Taylor Harvey|
|Puyo Puyo!! Quest information|
Marle is a character introduced in Puyo Puyo Tetris 2. At first, she appears to be responsible for mixing the Puyo Puyo and Tetris dimensions. After Chapter 4, Marle becomes an ally of the group and reveals herself to be a partial incarnation of the Will of the Worlds and watcher of the worlds, who ensures that all battles are fun.
During the protagonists' early encounters with her, Marle appears to be a young girl with short cut light yellow-green hair and half-lidded gold eyes. The upper tips of her hair are styled in a fashion similar to lightning bolts, and the back of her hair frays outward to points on both sides. Atop of her head is a black cloud with a blue lightning bolt protruding out of it. Her bangs are cut irregularly and their shape resembles an "M", with the middle bang being round and the left and right ones being straight cut. Behind her are pieces of disjointed hair in rectangular pieces, resembling sunrays. She wears a pair of black gloves, an outfit primarily hued with black, red, and purple decorated with circle motifs, black stockings, and white-tipped shoes.
Upon being freed from Squares' control, her dress changes to a cyan color accented with orange and white. Her stockings, gloves, and cloud are now white, while her shoes are black. She has amethyst purple eyes and her hair now has three curls, and the disjointed parts of her hair reconnect into a chain of circles. Her curls seem to change along with her emotions, unfurling slightly when she's surprised, and taking on a lightning bolt shape when she is angry.
Outside of the Adventure Mode, Marle's true form is default when selecting her, while her mind-controlled form can be selected by pressing the button which would switch to her alternate voice on the character selection screen. Similar to how "extra" characters such as Red Amitie and Strange Klug are selected in Puyo Puyo!! 20th Anniversary.
At first, Marle's personality appears to be playful, mischievous, and thrill-seeking, as she's seen explaining to Ringo her desire for everyone to have many battles so they can all have fun. She seems to speak politely but playfully, dragging out her vowels and often ending her sentences with music notes. She begins to show signs of distress throughout the game, and becomes increasingly conflicted once the others challenge her thinking of "fun", with Arle assessing that she isn't doing anything of her own volition.
In reality Marle is a polite, friendly, and thoughtful person. She seems to take her responsibility as watcher of the worlds rather seriously, as she mentions that she and Squares refrained from directly interfering during the first merging of the worlds in Puyo Puyo Tetris. However, she seems inexperienced with her role and kept secrets from Squares during the second merging, resulting in the events in Puyo Puyo Tetris 2. She is extremely grateful for the heroes' efforts in freeing her from Squares' control and making him realize the error of his ways, and Ally's assistance as well.
As a partial incarnation of the Will of the Worlds, Marle is able to observe and travel to different puzzle worlds as she pleases. She is also powerful enough to create another cosmological being, Squares, to become her companion.
In battle, Marle's spells include Annulus, Circular Dance, Pastel Orb, Shiny Bubble, and Heavenly Sphere, all of which are themed after circles. While under the control of Squares, her spells have a square-like element to their appearances. For instance, Heavenly Sphere depicts a cube instead of a sphere while she is under his control.
- Squares is Marle's creation, fellow watcher of the worlds, and younger brother. Ally notices that she cares for her brother very deeply in spite of what he had done to her.
See the respective PPQ-namespace card pages of Marle for the character's in-game description in Puyo Puyo!! Quest.
|"A watcher of the worlds. Ensure all battles in the cosmos are fun. Mysterious, |
but she has a gentle heart."
- Her name is a corruption of the Japanese word for "circle", with the middle vowel drawn out.
- While not kept in the English localization, the stylization of her name is likely a nod to her speech in Japanese text featuring drawn out words.
- Her motifs represent the circular shape of Puyo to contrast with Squares' motifs, which represent the rectangular shape of Tetriminos.
- Marle is the first female antagonist that is not a doppelganger of a pre-existing character.
- Her title "Dimensional Parasite" during the first part of Puyo Puyo Tetris 2 is 時空のバグ (jikuu no bagu, lit. space-time bug) in Japanese, which is referring more to a computer bug or a glitch than to an actual parasitic insect.
- Marle is the only character in Puyo Puyo Tetris 2 to have an alternate costume. Unlike the ones in 20th, Marle's alternate is considered an alternate voice.
- While Marle is locked, her silhouette is that of her pre-Chapter 5 self. Once unlocked, her post Chapter 5 self replaces that slot; her CSS icon does not change when her alternate voice is selected.
- Marle's Dropset cannot be used within Fever, since her dropset hasn't appeared in a game that has that mode yet. The same situation happens with Squares, Sonic, Legamünt and Rozatte.
- Marle and Sonic are the only characters that were introduced within a Puyo Puyo Tetris game that default to Puyo Puyo instead of Tetris on the character Select screen.
- Marle has the biggest Fusion Dropset out of any character, consisting of a total of 18 Puyos.
- Marle and Carbuncle also are the only characters whose Fusion Dropset have 2 Big Puyos in it. They also happen to have the O Tetrimino as their SP piece, which functions like a Big Yellow Puyo in its Puyo form, essentially granting them 3 Big Puyos in their Dropset.
Character Specific Attributes
Puyo Puyo Tetris 2
- Player Chain
|Chain 2||よーし||Yōshi!||Very good.|
|Chain 3||行きますよぉ！||Ikimasu yō!||Here I go!|
|Repeater||いかがですか？||Ikaga desu ka?||How's this?|
|Counter||楽しいですねぇ♪||Tanoshii desu ne?||Isn't this... fun?|
|Spell 2||ラウンドダンス||Raundo dansu||Round Dance||Circular Dance|
|Spell 3||パステルサークル||Pasuteru sākuru||Pastel Circle||Pastel Orb|
|Spell 4||シャイニーバブル||Shainī baburu||Shiny Bubble|
|Spell 5||ヘブンリースフィア！||Hebunrī sufia!||Heavenly Sphere!|
|Tetris Line Clear||テトリスですよー！||Tetorisu desuyo!||It's a Tetris!||Tetris!|
- Enemy Attack
|Heavy||痛いですぅ...！||Itai desu...!||That hurts!|
- Character Select and Match Result
|Character Select||楽しく勝負しましょうねぇ♪||Tanoshiku shoubu shimashou nē||Let's have a fun battle!||Time for a battle!|
Let's make this battle fun. (Evil / Alt. Voice)
|Win||楽しい勝負でしたぁ♪||Tanoshii shoubu deshita!||That was a fun battle!|
|Lose||次は負けません...||Tsugi wa makemasen...||I won't! ...lose next time.|
- Endless Fever and Big Bang
|Entered||楽しくなってきましたぁ！||Tanoshiku natte kimashita!||This is getting fun!|
|Success||楽勝ですぅ♪||Rakushou desu!||Easy victory.|
That was easy. (English Evil / Alt. Voice)
|Failed||ダメでした…||Dame deshita...||That was no good...!|
|Big Bang||いっきますよぉ！♪||Ikimasu yo!||Here I come!||This should be really fun...!|
Hah! (English Evil / Alt. Voice)
|Severe attack||どうですか？♪||Dou desu ka?||How about this?(!)|
|Win||ごめんなさいね♪||Gomennasai ne.||Sorry about that.||Did that hurt?|
Sorry about that... (Evil / Alt. Voice)
|Light damage||うぇぇえん！||Uween...||*whine*||Nngh! *pain-suffering pant*|
|Severe damage||なんでですかぁ？||Nande desu ka?||Why... is this happening?!|
|Puyo Puyo desu!
|Swap||チェーンジですよぉ♪||Chenji desu yo!||Let's change.|
|Swap when in disadvantage||危ないところでしたぁ...||Abunai tokoro deshita!||That was dangerous...|
|Power-up item||くれるんですかぁ？♪||Kureru n desu ka?||Is this for me?||Just for me.|
|Offensive item||あげちゃいますよぉ♪||Agechaimasu yo!||Here, take this!|
|Getting multiple items at once||まとめていきます！||Matomete ikimasu!||Take all of it!|
|Topped out||まだまだですよぉ♪||Madamada desu yo!||It's not over yet!|
|Win||楽しんでくれましたかぁ？||Tanoshinde kuremashita ka?||I hope you had... fun!|
|Be a runner-up||もう終わりですか？||Mou owari desu ka?||Is it over already?|
|Mix Chain||ミックス連鎖です！||Mikkusu rensa desu!||Mix Chain.|
|Tetris Plus||テトリスプラスですね！||Tetorisu purasu desune!||Tetris Plus.|
|Chaining by a Tetrimino crushing Puyo||ツイてますね！||Tsuitemasu ne!||I'm feeling lucky!|
- Skill Battle
|Unused||これはどうでしょう？||Kore-wa dou deshou?||How about this?|
|Heal||力になります||Chikaraninarimasu||Let me help.|
|Color Change||もっと楽しく！||Motto tanoshiku!||More fun!||Too much fun!|
|Assemble!||やっちゃってくださぁい！||Yatchatte kudasai!||Do it!||Let's give it our all!|
- System Startup
|Boot Up 1||セガ!||Sega!|
|Boot Up 2||テトリス！||Tetorisu!||Tetris!|
|Title Screen||ぷよぷよテトリス2！||Puyo Puyo Tetorisu 2!||Puyo Puyo Tetris 2!|
- Online Greetings
|「楽しい」勝負にしましょうねぇ♪||"Tanoshii" shoubu-ni shimashou ne!||Let's make this battle fun.♪|
|さあ、始めましょぉ♪||Saa, hajimemashou.||Now, let's get it started.||I'm ready when you are.♪|
|ああ......待ち遠しいですぅ♪||Aa, machidooshii desu!||*sigh* I can't wait.♪|
|勝負ができるって、嬉しいですねぇ♪||Shoubu-ga dekiru-tte, ureshii desu ne!||I'm happy to be able to have a match!||What could be more fun than battling?♪|
|ドキドキですね......♪||Dokidoki desu ne!||This is so exciting...♪|
Marle - Alt.
Character select - Alt.
Puyo Puyo!! Quest
[★6] Light Marle Full Power Ver.
[★7] Light Marle Full Power Ver.