Popoi, as he appears in Puyo Puyo!! 20th Anniversary.
|Other Names||Black Popoi (Evil Popoi, direct translation from Puyo Puyo!! Quest name)|
Popoi Maligno (Evil Popoi)
|First appearance||Puyo Puyo Fever|
|Latest appearance||Puyo Puyo Tetris 2|
|English||Kyle Hebert (Puyo Puyo Tetris)|
|Puyo Puyo!! Quest information|
Popoi is a male black cat who is usually being held by Accord. Accord claims that he is a talking puppet.
Puyo Puyo Fever
He is the final boss of the game, claiming to be the "Prince of Darkness." This, however, may be just an act set up by Accord, as he is "not ready yet" by the time Raffina shows up at the castle. Amitie regards him with seriousness, not accusing him of being a puppet, while Raffina believes that he is totally false and set up by Accord. After his defeat, he mysteriously appears with Accord, no worse for wear, in the endings.
Puyo Puyo Fever 2, 15th Anniversary, Tetris, Chronicle, Tetris 2
Popoi only appears as a cameo character with occasional lines in cutscenes involving Accord. He also appears as her fourth spell in every game starting here, where he's thrown at the screen.
Puyo Puyo!! 20th Anniversary
In Puyo Puyo!! 20th Anniversary, he runs the shop, where the player can exchange points for Puyo skins, alternate costumes, voices, and trivia. More information about the trivia can be found at the article below.
Main article: Puyo Puyo!! 20th Anniversary/Trivia
If you continuously purchase his trivia, he will randomly give away Unusual Ecolo or one of the hidden modes ported from 15th Anniversary. On the PSP, Wii, and 3DS versions of the game, you can get 4 extra BGM from Puyo Puyo 7, listed as BGM 15-18.
- His birthday of February 22nd is Cat Day in Japan (not to be confused with National Cat Day), the same day as George Washington's, to relate to Accord's birthday, who is the same day as Abraham Lincoln's. It is also double of Akuma's birthday of January 11th, perhaps to signify that Akuma and Popoi rank first and second among whatever species they are.
- To date, Popoi is the only character to get a vocal track while not being playable in 20th. While he is present in that game, it is only as a shop vendor and NPC for Accord's cutscenes and animations.
- Puyo Puyo Fever
- Puyo Puyo Fever 2 (with Accord)
- Puyo Puyo! 15th Anniversary (with Accord)
- Puyo Puyo!! 20th Anniversary (with Accord and NPC in shop)
- Puyo Puyo Tetris (NPC with Accord)
- Puyo Puyo Tetris 2 (with Accord)
- Puyo Puyo Chronicle (with Accord)
- Puyo Puyo eSports (card alone, card Black Popoi, card with Accord)
- Puyo Puyo!! Quest
- Puyo Puyo!! Quest Arcade
- Puyo Puyo!! Touch (NPC with Accord; Unreleased playable version)
Character specific mechanics
Puyo Pop Fever
- Player Chain (Popoi Type)
|Chain 3||いくにゃりよ||Iku nyari yo!||(Here I) Go meow!|
|Chain 4||にゃんつー||Nyan, tsu...!||One, two...!||Go, go, meow!|
|Chain 5||ジャンプにゃ||Janpu, nya!||Jump/ing, meow!|
|Repeater||パワーにゃっぷ||Pawaa Nyappu||Power Up, meow!|
|Spell 1||ウィップにゃ||Wippu, nya!||Whip, meow!|
|Spell 2||シューティングスター||Shuutin Sutaa||Shooting Star|
|Spell 3||ギャラクシーだにゃ||Gyarakushii, da nya!||Galaxy, meow!|
|Spell 4||スターダストウィップ||Sutaadasto Wippu||Stardust Whip|
|Spell 5||ブラックホール||Burakku Hōru||Black Hole|
- Enemy Attack
|Heavy||にゃにゃぁ～！？||Nya nya!?||Meow meow!|
- Fever Mode
|Entered/All Clear||決まったにゃり||Kimatta nyari!||This will end it, meow.||Rocking, meow!|
|Failed||はにゃん…||Hanyan...||Meow...||Oh, meow wow!|
- Match Start and Result
|Character Select||うにゃにゃん||Nya nya!||Meow meow!|
|Win||我輩の勝ちにゃりね||Wagahai-no kachi nyari ne!||Victory for the great meow!||Beat you, meow!|
|Lose||んにゃ～～||Nnya~...||Meowow...||Oh, not meow!|
- Puyo Skin Store
- Alt Voice Store
- Alt Costume Store
- Trivia Store
- Enter and Exit