Ex, as he appears in Puyo Puyo Tetris 2.
|Other Names||X |
Keeper of Dimensions
JP: 時空の番人 (Jikū no bannin)
Keeper (by Tee)
Mr. Fancy Suspenders (by Ringo Ando)
|First appearance||Puyo Puyo Tetris|
|Latest appearance||Puyo Puyo Tetris 2|
|Puyo Puyo!! Quest information|
Ex is the current Keeper of Dimensions, the former Tetris King, previous captain of the S.S. Tetra, and the true father of Ess. He represents the crossover between Puyo Puyo and Tetris and serves as the true antagonist of Puyo Puyo Tetris.
- 1 Biography
- 2 History
- 3 Appearances
- 4 Character profiles
- 5 Character specific mechanics
- 6 Chants
- 7 Trivia
- 8 Gallery
Ex is an older man with yellow eyes and gray hair with white stripes that form the shape of an "X". He wears a frilly white shirt, a pink bowtie, and yellow suspenders with brown straps, with the straps' ends hanging loose. He also wears white gloves and boots with blue strips around them.
Ex is an intelligent and gentle person, but due to his role as the Keeper of Dimensions, he's suffered strongly from loneliness. Because of this, he is strongly empathetic and cares deeply for the people of the worlds he supervises, never forgetting acts of kindness and looking to ensure the well-being of both worlds.
As the previous Tetris King and captain of the S.S. Tetra, Ex's Tetris abilities are on par with Tee's. He is also intelligent enough to have constructed Zed to watch over Ess and the rest of the Tetra crew.
As Keeper of Dimensions, Ex is is aware of most events throughout spacetime and is able to receive Tee's transmissions which are sent via O. However, his knowledge does not extend to characters such as Marle, who he only knew had a power within her, but not the true nature of her power. His presence at the edge of spacetime is also necessary, as he is unable to leave his post for an extended period of time lest the dimensions be unsupervised.
- Ex adopted Ai when he was a puppy and raised him. Ai looks up to him and sees Ex like a father.
- While Ess is Ex's biological daughter, she is estranged from him and doesn't see him as her actual father.
- Ex and Squares interact in the Puyo Puyo Tetris 2 extra episodes where Ex gives Squares advice about how to forgive himself for his wrongs.
- Ex utilized Tee's reports through O as his sole method of communication. Tee took over as the King of Tetris after Ex, but still holds Ex in high regard and cares for him, going to him for advice in Puyo Puyo Tetris 2 and trusting his judgment and understanding of the universe.
- Ex created Zed to look after and raise Ess after he was called to become the new Keeper of Dimensions.
Puyo Puyo Tetris
His presence is first foreshadowed in Chapter 6. During Ess's visions while training, she encounters Zed. But instead of Zed's normal behavior, she hears a message from a mysterious voice, talking about regretting leaving Ess alone and creating Zed as a substitute. Distressed, Ess challenges Zed to a match, afterwards shrugging it off as an impostor. However, he would appear to O, saying that he's the one that receives Tee's reports and apologizes for causing the worlds to merge with each other, requesting for O to stop him.
His proper appearance is in Chapter 7. Tee explains that he sends the reports to Ex via O, but doesn't remember it. Ex explains it's because of the Edge of Reality exists within Space and Time, meaning he technically didn't exist in any particular world. Arle, Amitie, and Ess then interrupt the conversation to make Ex fix reality before the universe is destroyed from the worlds merging together. However, Ex says it's too late to fix it, and runs off. He then explains that he was once the King of Tetris, before gaining the ability to transverse, and as such became the guardian. He resolved to protect the boundary of reality, using the reports from Tee and O as his only form of communication. However after countless years passed by, he started to develop a sense of depression from the loneliness, eventually causing him to neglect his duties out of doubt and cause the worlds to start merging with each other. Eventually at the Edge of Reality, he personally requests Tee to beat him in a match, believing that being defeated by the current King of Tetris, Tee would motivate him to protect the boundary once again. After beating Ex, Tee requests to take Ex's place as the Guardian due to his loneliness, but Ex personally rejects it. Tee then challenges him again, this time with Ex's full strength. Ex loses, but after Ringo halts Tee's attempt to take Ex's place, Satan and Ecolo step in, having managed to create a way for the SS Tetra crew to visit Ex at their leisure, which in turn, will allow the Tetra's crew to keep Ex's 'loneliness' from repeating. With this agreed, and visibly liked by Ex, he fixes the dimensional boundary.
As a playable character, he uses the same AI and dropset as Ms. Accord when playing Puyo. Unlike the other characters introduced in Puyo Puyo Tetris, he meets Ms. Accord personally, as revealed in Chapter EX10.
Puyo Puyo Tetris 2
Ex returns early in the second game, being one of the few characters to recall the events of the previous game. In Chapter 1, he brings Tee and Ringo together and leaves them to go on a search for the mysterious individual who had caused the worlds to merge.
See the respective PPQ-namespace card pages of Ex for the character's in-game description in Puyo Puyo!! Quest.
|"The Keeper of Dimensions. His past is shrouded in mystery..."|
Character specific mechanics
- Player Chain
|Chain 2||いいね||Ii ne.||Good.||Better.|
|Chain 3||調子が出てきた||Choushi-ga dete kita.||I'm getting warmed up.||How's this?|
|Chain 4||楽しいよ||Tanoshii yo.||I'm having fun.||Having fun?|
|Repeater||ここから本番だ||Koko kara honban da.||This is where it begins.||Watch this!|
|Counter||因果応報||Inga ouhou.||Reap what you sow.||This is retribution.|
|Spell 1||スピードアップ||Supiido Appu||Speed Up|
|Spell 2||RENラッシュ||Ren Rasshu||Combo Rush||Feel the rush.|
|Spell 3||ハードドロップ||Haado Doroppu||Hard Drop|
|Spell 4||ハイパーハードドロップ||Haipaa Haado Doroppu||Hyper Hard Drop|
|Spell 5||ローテーションエックス||Rooteeshon Ekkusu||Rotation X||Revolution|
|Tetris Line Clear||テトリス||Tetorisu!||Tetris!|
- Enemy Attack
|Heavy||なかなか効いたよ…||Nakanaka kiita yo.||That hit me pretty hard.||Good move!|
- Character Select/Match Result
|Character Select||お相手いたしましょう||O-aite itashimashou.||I shall be your opponent.||Looks like it's my turn.|
|Win||ありがとう、楽しかったよ||Arigatou, tanoshikatta yo.||Thank you, that was fun.|
|Lose||腕が鈍ったな…||Ude-ga nibutta na...||I'm losing my edge...|
- Big Bang and Endless Fever
|Entered||よし(、)よし||Yoshi, yoshi.||Good.||That's it!|
|Success||いい感じだ||Ii kanji da.||It's going well.||Looking good.|
|Failed||ダメか…||Dame ka...||Not good...||Oh boy...|
|Big Bang||覚悟はいいかな？||Kakugo-wa ii kana?||Are you prepared?||You ready?|
|Severe Attack||すまないね！||Sumanai ne!||Sorry!|
|Win||大丈夫かい？||Daijoubu kai?||Are you all right?||Too bad.|
|Severe Attack||厳しいなぁ…||Kibishii na...||Harsh...||Looking bleak...|
|Lose||ぼくとしたことが…||Boku-to shita koto ga...||This isn't like me...||I'm getting rusty.|
|Puyo Puyo dane!
|Swap||さあ、チェンジだ！||Saa, chenji da!||Here, time to change!||New dimension!|
|Swap while in disadvantage||まだこれから！||Mada kore kara!||You still haven't seen anything yet!||Still got this...|
|Power-up item||いいものがある||Ii mono-ga aru.||I've got something nice.||This should help.|
|Offensive item||プレゼントだよ||Purezento da yo.||Present for you.||Got you something.|
|Getting multiple items at once||コンボでいくよ||Konbo-de iku yo.||Have a combo.||How's this?!|
|Topped out||まだ遊べるよ||Mada asoberu yo.||I can still play.||Okay, again.|
|Win||最高に楽しかったよ||Saikou-ni tanoshikatta yo.||That was absolutely fun.||That's what you get!|
|Be a Runner-Up||次は本気を出そうかな||Tsugi-wa honki-o dasou kana.||Maybe I'll play seriously next time.||Guess I need to step it up.|
|Lose||負けるのは悔しいな…||Makeru-no-wa kuyashii na.||It's mortifying to lost.||Aw, I hate losing...|
|Mix Chain||ミックス連鎖！||Mikkusu Rensa!||Mix Chain|
|Tetris Plus||テトリスプラス！||Tetorisu Purasu!||Tetris (Plus)|
|Chain after Puyo crushed||ナイスプレイ！||Naisu purei!||Nice (play)!|
- Skill Battle
|Tetrimino Change||手助けをさせてくれ||Tedasuke o sa sete kure.||Let me help you.|
|Pair Puyo Change||これが僕の力だ||Kore ga boku no chikara da.||This is my true power!|
|Terraformer||キミは、負けないよ||Kimi wa, makenai yo.||You won't lose!|
|Unused||一緒にがんばろう||Issho-ni ganbarou.||We'll do our best.||We got this!|
- System Startup
|Boot Up|| セガ！
|Title Screen|| ぷよぷよテトリス！
| Puyo Puyo Tetorisu！
Puyo Puyo Tetorisu 2!
| Puyo Puyo Tetris！|
Puyo Puyo Tetris 2!
- Online Greetings
|覚悟はいいかい？||Kakugo-wa ii kai.||Are you prepared?||You ready yet?|
|よろしく頼むよ||Yoroshiku tanomu yo.||Nice to meet you.||I can't wait.|
|お相手願おうかな||O-aite negaou ka na.||Would you be my opponent?||I've always wanted to face you.|
|ごめんね、ぼくは強いんだ||Gomen ne, boku-wa tsuyoi n da.||Sorry. I'm just that strong.|
|待っていたよ||Matte ita yo.||I've waited so long...|
- Ex's name refers to the crossover between Puyo Puyo and Tetris. This can be seen in the "X", or cross, shape in the backgrounds of the title screens of both Puyo Puyo Tetris and Puyo Puyo Tetris 2.
- In fact, his hair contains a white "X" overlay that perfectly matches the shapes in these backgrounds.
- He may additionally be named after the X pentomino (although such piece is never present in either game he appears in).
- Alternate Voice notes:
- In Puyo Puyo Tetris in both Japanese and English versions, his tone becomes more rough.
- In Puyo Puyo Tetris 2, he speaks in a quiet, hoarse tone.
- In the English version, most of his alternate voice clips are reused from the original Puyo Puyo Tetris, and his new voice clips retain the same tone.
- Ex is referred to as both X and MST in the game's files. MST is most likely a contraction of mystery, possibly to prevent spoilers or as a placeholder until his concept was finalized.
- He's the only character introduced in Puyo Puyo Tetris that is not based on a Tetrimino.
- Ex's voice actor, Kazuki Yao, previously voiced Satan in Puyo Puyo CD and Puyo Puyo CD Tsu.
- Another Keeper of Dimensions, Yoggus, was shown in Madou Monogatari Saturn. Like Puyo Puyo Tetris, the game also involves a journey to the Edge of Spacetime. Whether or not they are related is unknown.
- Oddly, in the English version, when Ex clears 5 or more lines of Tetriminoes simultaneously in Fusion or Party, he says just "Tetris" as if he cleared 4 lines instead of "Tetris Plus" as usual. Interestingly, the line is said in a way still differs from the regular Tetris, as well as in the title screen.
Quest: [★6] Ex
Quest: [★4] Ex
Chain cut-in (Hard Drop, Hyper Hard Drop)
Quest: [★5] Ex
Quest: [★7] Ex