Ecolo, as he appears in Puyo Puyo Tetris 2.
|Other Names||Wanderer of Worlds (Puyo Puyo Tetris 2)|
|Gender||Unknown (uses masculine pronouns in localizations)|
|First appearance||Puyo Puyo 7|
|Latest appearance||Puyo Puyo Tetris 2|
|Puyo Puyo!! Quest information|
Ecolo is a mysterious dark character who first appears in Puyo Puyo 7. He is an entity known as a "space-time traveler" and can traverse dimensions to his liking. Due to the nature of being a space-time traveler whose existence conflicts with the laws of space-time, memories of his existence are easily forgotten by most.
- 1 Biography
- 2 History
- 3 Trivia
- 4 Appearances
- 5 Character profiles
- 6 Character-specific Mechanics
- 7 Chants
- 8 Gallery
Ecolo is an amorphous, human-shape figure of space matter, generally of black and highlighted cyan. His head has a wispy tail, and his face consists of two cyan circles, a question mark on the forehead and an eerily crescent-shape mouth with a perpetual drool. His chest glows cyan, taking a vaguely star-shape form and spirals.
While the space matter appearance is the default, he has a more human-like appearance known as Unusual Ecolo.
Ecolo is very whimsical and adores fun. He adores playing with others and sharing fun, but has difficulty exercising restraint. After losing his memories temporarily in Puyo Puyo!! 20th Anniversary he plans to spread happiness but tends to be over the top, and occasionally endangers worlds or pushes Ringo's personal boundaries.
Ecolo is themed around deceit and lies, knowing moves such as 'Liar', 'Swindle' and 'Fake Speech'. In spite of having entirely original spells, Ecolo mimics the motions of other characters, or in the case of Puyo Puyo 7, assumes their shape entirely, only being pitch black. In the English version of Puyo Puyo Tetris, Ecolo's spells are declarations at his opponent, such as "You cheater!", as opposed to distinct attack names.
- Ecolo has great fascination in her, to the point of jealousy and antagonizing those that are close to her, such as Maguro and Tee. This fixation on Ringo seems to be based in the fact that she's unique for being able to remember Ecolo's existence, in spite of the fact that he defies the laws of spacetime and is generally forgotten by all who encounter him. He tends to cling to Ringo and usually tries to get her attention, such as when he willingly allowed Marle to influence him in Puyo Puyo Tetris 2 so that Ringo would free him from the influence. While his actions exasperate Ringo, she states that she sees him as a friend and that is why she does not forget him.
- Maguro Sasaki
- While their interactions are few, Ecolo seems to see Maguro as a rival for Ringo's attention as seen by how he was upset in Puyo Puyo!! 20th Anniversary during Maguro's route.
- Ecolo first met Satan in Puyo Puyo!! 20th Anniversary and was impressed at his magical powers. Since then, the two have delighted in causing chaos together and when mayhem arises, they are generally the first culprits in mind for Arle and Ringo. Ecolo is on friendly terms with Satan much to the girls' annoyance, and refers to him as "old man".
Puyo Puyo 7
In Puyo Puyo 7, Ecolo serves as the main antagonist of the game. He is unlocked by completing the games story mode.
During the events of the story, it is revealed that Dark Arle was actually Ecolo using Arle's body. He apparently wanted to bury Andou Ringo's world in Puyo for personal amusement. After being beaten out of Arle's body, he then attempted to possess Ringo, but she fought them off. Unable to possess Ringo, Ecolo decided that all worlds should be buried in Puyo, and began to break down worlds to gain the necessary power. However, Amitie and Arle managed to escape the space warp Ecolo trapped them in, and joined Ringo to battle against Ecolo as a singular group. After Ecolo's defeat, everyone was returned to their respective worlds, unharmed.
Ecolo also took control of Maguro's and Risukuma's body during these events and made as both claim that they were being controlled and needed help. Unlike Dark Arle, however, they did not change their forms.
In Transformation, Ecolo transforms into shadowy doppelgangers of Feli and Klug in Mini Puyo Fever and Mega Puyo Rush, respectively. Outside of these modes, Ecolo takes the form of a shadowy Ringo and copies all of her animations aside from the winning, losing and transforming animations, which are his own. This, along with the question mark on his forehead, makes Ecolo the third asymmetrical character in the game.
Ecolo's memory is curiously wiped, having no recollection of his actions or meetings in the previous game. Ecolo briefly laments about the lost memories, but still finds fun in Puyo Puyo.
Ecolo is kinder due to memory loss from Risukuma's haphazard experiment, which apparently hit him on the head and sent them to Primp Town. As a running gag due to memory loss, Ecolo gave awkward nicknames to whoever he came across. Their opponents are:
Ecolo's first opponent is Dongurigaeru. Unable to remember anything other than that Puyo battles are fun, he decides to battle the first being he comes across. After enjoying a Puyo battle, Ecolo decides that his purpose must be to find fun things.
Ecolo's second opponent is Draco, which he tries nicknaming "Tail Grower". Ecolo wants to pull Draco's tail, but Draco refuses. Ecolo battles Draco because she's getting in the way of his fun, but after winning, Draco's tantrum leads Ecolo to lose interest. Sensing that Ecolo is no longer paying attention, Draco runs away.
Ecolo's third opponent is Witch, which he tries nicknaming "Pointy Hat". Ecolo muses that he wants to have fun, but if the other person does not want to participate then it isn't fun anymore. While wondering if there is a way for everyone to have fun without being troubled, he comes across Witch, who wonders if he is a being of some kind of undiscovered species. Ecolo asks Witch if she knows how to make people laugh, and she responds that people typically laugh when tickled. Inspired, Ecolo attempts to tickle Witch, which results in a Puyo battle. Afterwards, Witch leaves annoyedly.
Ecolo's fourth opponent is Feli, which he tries nicknaming "Straight Bangs". Due to the previous two failures, Ecolo wonders if giving presents would be better at making people have fun, when Feli comes across Ecolo and notes that he is a "existence separated from fate". Ecolo asks if Feli has anything she wants. Feli responds that she wants Lemres, so Ecolo decides that he will pack this Lemres-thing into a box and and give it to her as a present, unaware that she is very protective of Lemres. Angry, Feli attacks Ecolo in order to protect Lemres. After the battle, Feli threatens Ecolo not to touch Lemres as she leaves. Ecolo wonders why the present option didn't work out right.
Ecolo's fifth opponent is Ringo. Ringo first accuses Ecolo of causing trouble for other people when she notices that he seems down. When Ecolo confirms her observation, she decides that she was wrong and cheers Ecolo up instead with a Puyo match. Afterwards, Ecolo exclaims that it was fun, and Ringo agrees. Ringo tells Ecolo that she'll stop him if he plans to cause trouble, but if it's Puyo matches, he can come to her anytime.
Ecolo's sixth opponent is Amitie, which he tries nicknaming "Jumpy Sideburns". Ecolo immediately requests a Puyo match. Afterwards, Ecolo asks if it was fun, and Amitie assents. Excited, Ecolo leaves right after.
Ecolo's seventh opponent is Lemres, which he tries nicknaming "Candy Licker". By this time, Ecolo has decided that his purpose must be to make everyone joyful, and asks Lemres for a Puyo battle. Lemres is interested in Ecolo's existence and wants to ask questions, but he is unable to both before and after the Puyo battle. After Ecolo confirms that it was fun for Lemres, he starts thinking that making everyone happy one-by-one is too slow, and leaves to search for a way to make everyone happy in one go.
Ecolo's eighth and final opponent is Rulue. Ecolo realizes that he needs a huge amount of power to make everyone happy, along the lines of being able to raise a castle, control the weather, or create a Puyo Hell. Rulue overhears them and asks if he is talking about Satan. Ecolo asks who Satan is, and Rulue explains his magic capabilities, and then decides to punish Ecolo for not knowing of Satan's existence.
Ecolo decides that he needs Satan's power in order to make everyone happy at once.
Other Characters' Stories
Ecolo serves as the main antagonist of this game along with Satan. He asks Satan whether he could use Satan's power to grant every single person's wish. As a result, Ringo, Arle, and Amitie go to Satan's castle to stop them. After the battle, Ecolo remembers his identity as a space-time traveler, and leaves to wander space once again. However, due to the nature of being one, he laments that leaving to wander will inevitably wipe themselves out of everyone's memories and no one will remember Ecolo.
- The exact origin of Ecolo's name is unclear, though it's possibly be derived from コロコロ (corocoro; roughly a fat, bouncy, spherical object), since Ecolo is very round, and exclaims "byoun byoun" during transformation.
- Ecolo is the only final boss character besides Satan to have more than one musical theme.
- While the English version of Puyo Puyo Tetris confirmed his official spelling as "Ecolo", the Puyo Puyo 25th Anniversary Book spells his name as Ecoro, as well as some system files in Japanese Puyo games.
- Internally in Puyo Puyo 7, Ecolo is simply known as BOS, as in "boss".
- Ecolo's gender is unclear, though is generally referred to as male:
- In Puyo Puyo Tetris 2, Ringo begins to introduce Ecolo with a masculine pronoun "かれ", but trails off with a ? before opting to use "あれ" instead, a non-gendered term used for inanimate objects which translates to "that".
- In the official English version of Puyo Puyo Tetris and Puyo Puyo Tetris 2, Ecolo is referred to with masculine pronouns.
- In fan translations, the Puyo Puyo 7 translation by Puyo Nexus refers to Ecolo with masculine pronouns, while the fan translation group Precise Museum refer to Ecolo with singular “they” in their translations.
- Ecolo is the only character in Puyo Puyo!! Quest to acknowledge the existence of card frames. He and Ringo are the only ones to acknowledge card rarity being represented by stars.
- Ecolo's spell cut-in in Puyo Puyo!! 20th Anniversary and Puyo Puyo Chronicle are mimicking the protagonists' spells that have similar pronunciations:
- "Liar" - "Fire" (Arle)
- "Swindle" - "Cosine" (Ringo) (Probably taken from English pronunciation instead of Japanese)
- "Fake Speech" - "Ice Storm" (Arle)
- "Lovely Trick" - "Fairy Fair" (Amitie)
- "Imitation" - "Permutation" (Ringo)
- Additionally, while having no cut-in, but "How exciting!" is possible referencing that of Ringo.
- Alternate voice notes:
- In Puyo Puyo!! 20th Anniversary, Ecolo has a deep voice, and his pronunciation becomes strong overall.
- In Puyo Puyo Tetris, Ecolo sounds bad-tempered, similar to Klug in Puyo Puyo Chronicle, or lonely.
- In the English version, he speaks extremely quickly, as if he is in a rush to go somewhere. Some lines, like "Just an imitation!" and "Woohoo, that was fun!", become too fast to listen correctly.
- In Puyo Puyo Chronicle, Ecolo sounds drowsy, similar to Rulue in Puyo Puyo!! 20th Anniversary and Raffina in Puyo Puyo Tetris.
- In Puyo Puyo Tetris 2, his voice is suave and very soft, almost like he is whispering.
- In the English version, all of his voice clips are played in reverse.
See the respective PPQ-namespace card pages of Ecolo for the character's in-game description in Puyo Puyo!! Quest.
|"The Wanderer of Worlds. He is a being of immense power, who does whatever he pleases!"|
Puyo Puyo 7 only
Identical to Ms. Accord's dropset.
Ice Blocks Nuisance Pattern
- Player Chain
|Chain 2||いいね||Ii ne!||Good!|
|Chain 3||なかなかいいね||Nakanaka ii ne!||Pretty nice!|
|Chain 4||興奮してきたよ||Kofunshite kita yo!||How exciting!|
|Counter||お返しだ！||Okaeshi da!||Payback time!||Take that!|
|Spell 1||ライアー||Raiaa||Liar||You cheater!|
|Spell 2||スウィンドル||Suindoru||Swindle||You liar!|
|Spell 3||フェイク・スピーチ||Feiku Supiichi||Fake Speech||What a fraud!|
|Spell 4||ラブリー・トリック||Raburii Torikku||Lovely Trick||You trickster!|
|Spell 5||イミテーション||Imiteeshon||Imitation||Just an imitation!|
|Tetris Line Clear||テトリスだね！||Tetorisu da ne!||It's a Tetris!|
That's a Tetris! (English T2 Alt. Voice)
- Enemy Attack
|Heavy||痛いなぁ～！||Itai na!||Hey, it hurts!||That hurts!|
- Match Start and Result
|Character Select||一緒に遊ぼうよ||Issho-ni asobou yo.||Let's play together.|
楽しいねぇ～ (until 20th)
|Ah, that was fun!
This is fun, eh?
|Woo, that was fun!|
|Lose||負けちゃったかぁ||Makechatta ka...||Aw, I've lost...|
- Fever Mode and Big Bang
|Entered||いいんじゃない？||Ii n ja nai?||Isn't that great?||Hey, that's good!|
よしよし！ (until 20th)
|Ii kanji da.
|It's going well.
|Failed||ダメかぁ||Dame ka...||Not good...||Darn, no good.|
受け止めきれる？ (T2 Alt. Voice)
Can you stop this?
Are you ready for this? (English T2 Alt. Voice)
|Severe Attack||痛いかもよ？||Itai kamo yo?||This might hurt!|
楽しくないなぁ... (T2 Alt. Voice)
|Tanoshiku nai yo...
Tanoshiku nai na...
|This isn't fun...|
|Puyo Puyo ga ii na!
Tetorisu ga ii na!
|I want to play Puyo Puyo/Tetris!||Anyone for Puyo Puyo/Tetris?|
|Swap||どっちもいいな！||Dotchi-mo ii na!||I like both of them!||Make up your mind!|
|Swap while in disadvantage||ふぅー||Fuu...||Whew...|
|Power-up item||いいねぇ||Ii ne!||Good!||Very nice!|
|Offensive item||あげるよ||Ageru yo.||I give you this.||Here you go!|
|Getting multiple items at once||楽しくなってきた！||Tanoshiku natte kita!||This is getting fun!|
|Topped out||まだ遊ぼう？||Mada asobou?||Let's keep playing.||Let's play again!|
|Win||最高に楽しかったよ！||Saikou-ni tanoshikatta yo!||Most fun I've had all day!|
|Be a Runner-Up||もっと遊ぼうよ
遊び足りないなぁ (T2 Alt. Voice)
|Motto asobou yo.
Asobi tarinai na.
|Let's play more.
I haven't played enough.
|Let's play again.|
Let's play some more! (T2 Alt. Voice)
|Mix Chain||ミックス連鎖だよ！||Mikkusu Rensa dayo!||Mix Chain!|
|Tetris Plus||テトリスプラスだよ！||Tetorisu Purasu dayo!||Tetris Plus!|
|Chaining by a Tetrimino crushing Puyo||かなりいいね！||Kanari ii ne!||Quite good!||Not too bad!|
|Pair Attack A||楽しく||Tanoshiku,||Happily,|
|Pair Attack B||ペアアタック！||Pea Attakku!||Pair Attack!|
|Pair Life Lost||まだ遊ぼう？||Mada asobou?||Let's keep playing.|
|Pair Life Gone||おや？||Oya?||Huh?!|
- Special Pair Victory
|勝っちゃいました...||Katchaimashita...||Oops, we won...|
|Unused||力になろうか？||Chikara-ni narou ka?||Need my help?|
|Crestfall||これでどうかな||Kore-de dou kana?||Does this work?|
助けがいるね (T2 Alt. Voice)
Tasuke-ga iru ne.
|There, go get 'em!|
You need help. (JP)
|Pair Puyo Change||やってあげるよ！||Yatte ageru yo!||Let ME do it!|
- System Startup
|Boot Up 1||セガ!||Sega!|
|Boot Up 2||テトリス！||Tetorisu!||Tetris!|
|Title Screen|| ぷよぷよテトリス！
| Puyo Puyo Tetorisu！
Puyo Puyo Tetorisu 2!
| Puyo Puyo Tetris！|
Puyo Puyo Tetris 2!
- Online Greetings
|待ちきれないよ！||Machikirenai yo!||I can't wait!|
|あはははは、よろしくね！||Ahahahaha, yoroshiku ne!||Hahaha! Greetings!|
|一緒に遊ぼうよ||Issho-ni asobou yo.||Let's play!|
|お楽しみはこれからさ||Otanoshimi-wa kore kara sa.||The fun is about to start!|
|さあ、どうしたい？||Saa, dou shitai?||So, what do you wanna do?|
Victory cut-in; Normal portrait and character select (NDS/3DS)
Quest: [★4] Ecolo
Chain cut-in (Lovely Trick); Attack portrait (NDS/3DS)
Quest: [★5] Ecolo
Fever entry and Counter cut-in (redrawn for Quest); Winning portrait (NDS/3DS)
Quest: [★6] Ecolo
Chain cut-in (Imitation) (redrawn for Quest)
Quest: [★7] Ecolo
Quest: [★4] Ecolo ver. PuyoChron
Quest: [★5] Ecolo ver. PuyoChron
Cut-in (Spell 5)
Quest: [★6] Ecolo ver. PuyoChron
Quest: [★7] Ecolo ver. PuyoTet2
Quest: [★7] Ecolo ver. PuyoTet2
Manzai Demo (Default) Reverse
Quest: [★5] Ecolo ver. PuyoTet2
Manzai Demo (Default)
Quest: [★5] Ecolo ver. PuyoTet2
Chain Cut-in (Counter)
Quest: [★6] Ecolo ver. PuyoTet2
Chain Cut-in (Counter) Reverse
Quest: [★6] Ecolo ver. PuyoTet2