Owlbear, as he appears in Puyo Puyo!! Quest
|First appearance||Madoushi Lulba|
|Latest appearance||Puyo Puyo!! Quest|
|Japanese||Ken Yamaguchi (Puyo Puyo CD Tsu)|
|Puyo Puyo!! Quest information|
Owlbear is a creature with the body of a bear and the head of an owl.
Owlbear made his debut in Madoushi Lulba, an adventure game often considered the spiritual prequel to the Madou Monogatari series. Here, Owlbear is a monster serving under the dark wizard Lulba. He also has the power of telepathy, an ability that would show up on and off in his later appearances.
Owlbear shows up in Act 4 (also known as Lulba 3 on Disc Station #4), where his presence is rather short-lived. After Cyber Cat has received honey from Herajika Moose and goes back to the giant wall that has been blocking his and Haagen Duck's path, Owlbear senses the smell of honey and crashes through the wall from the other side. He then notices Cyber Cat, and threatens to kill him on orders from his master. Using his mind-reading capabilities, Owlbear will immediately strike down any attack made by Cyber, causing him a point of damage. The player must instead choose the "zone out" (ぼーっとする) option, which makes Owlbear unable to read the heroes' empty minds and causes him great confusion. After doing this several times, Lulba appears, frustrated with his minion's failure, and burns him to a crisp with his magic.
Madou Monogatari series
In the MSX version Madou Monogatari 2 (in the 123 package release, not the standalone released through Disc Station), Owlbear appears as a common enemy. Owlbear is the final boss in the original version of Madou Monogatari: A and reoccurs three times. Owlbear is also a boss in Madou Monogatari: Hanamaru Dai Youchienji and Madou Monogatari (Saturn).
Puyo Puyo Tsu
Owlbear is the extra opponent of the second floor. In Super Puyo Puyo Tsu, he is the first opponent in Beginner mode.
In the Beginner mode, he wanted to steal Arle's money to make a boat and defeat a fish called "Satan Salmon".
- In Madou Monogatari: ARS, after being defeated once by Arle, Owlbear appears with angry eyes and a scar on his face from his second encounter onward. This seems to be referenced in Puyo Puyo!! Quest, where both qualities appear beginning with his second, ★3 form. In addition, his hair being yellow beginning with his ★4 form is a reference to his appearance in the Madou Monogatari games for Windows, such as Madou Monogatari: Secret of Elysium.
- Super Nazo Puyo: Rulue no Roux
- Super Nazo Puyo Tsu: Rulue no Tetsuwan Hanjouki
- Seriri's Happy Birthday
- Arle no Bouken: Mahou no Jewel
- Puyo Puyo!! Quest
- Puyo Puyo!! Quest Arcade
- Madou Monogatari 2
- Madou Monogatari: ARS
- Madou Monogatari: Hanamaru Dai Youchienji
- Madou Monogatari: Secret of Elysium
- Madou Monogatari (Saturn)
Puyo Puyo 2
Puyo Puyo CD 2
- Player Chain
- Enemy Chain
- Match Start and Result
Madou Monogatari 2 (MSX2)
Madou Monogatari: ARS (first encounter)
Madou Monogatari: ARS (second encounter)
Madou Monogatari: ARS (third encounter)
Overworld sprite from Super Nazo Puyo Tsu: Rulue no Tetsuwan Hanjouki
Dialogue icon from Super Nazo Puyo Tsu: Rulue no Tetsuwan Hanjouki