Puyo Puyo~n's Doppelganger Arle, as she appears in Puyo Puyo!! Quest.
Némesis de Arle (Puyo Puyo Champions)
|First appearance||Madou Monogatari I|
|Latest appearance||Puyo Puyo!! Quest|
|Japanese||Reiko Kurusu (Madou Monogatari 123)|
Emi Motoi (Puyo Puyo~n)
Mie Sonozaki (Puyo Puyo!! Quest)
|Puyo Puyo!! Quest information|
Doppelganger Arle is a villainous sorceress based on series protagonist Arle Nadja. The concept is a recurring one throughout the Madou Monogatari series, but arguably the most prominent Doppelganger Arle serves as the primary antagonist of Puyo Puyo~n. Another refers to the deceased wife of Satan, Lilith.
- 1 Biography
- 2 History
- 3 Trivia
- 4 Appearances
- 5 Character specific mechanics
- 6 Chants
- 7 Gallery
Doppelganger Arles are the spitting image of the series main protagonist Arle Nadja, however to what degree varies.
- In some games, generic Doppelgangers who appear identical appearance to Arle. Other times, they take a reddish tint to their bodies and wear red armor. They also often wear their armor backward compared to Arle.
- Warle, a boss fight in the Genesis version of Madou Monogatari 1, has a darker appearance. Her armor is also purple.
- Puyo Puyo~n's Doppelganger Arle wears an outfit identical to that of Arle's outfit in Yo~n. Her general design is retained in Puyo Puyo!! Quest, save for detached sleeves instead of palmless gloves. As Pierrot, she wears a jester/harlequin outfit, composed of shades of red and black, with a white mask, and white gloves.
Personalities of the generic enemy Doppelganger Arles are mostly unknown, as they do not do much aside from existing to fight.
Doppelganger Arle in Puyo Puyo~n is primarily fueled by hatred and jealousy of Arle Nadja, having an extreme desire to take her place. In Puyo Puyo!! Quest, she is very calm, composed, and secretive to herself and others, though she has fits of laughter. In her Pierrot disguise, she plays up her fool-hardy nature and acts as more of a goofball, though this element is not retained in Quest.
Generally, a Doppelganger Arle has similar abilities to Arle herself, and can use the same spells: Fire, Thunder, Ice Storm, Brain Dumbed, Diacute, and more. For more information, see Arle Nadja's page.
Puyo Puyo~n's Doppelganger Arle has her own unique spells that follow a religious/apocalyptic theme, as they are Abyss, Chaos, Labyrinth, Eclipse, Grand Cross, Ragnarok, and Armageddon, in addition to her Super Attack Void Hole: however, while they are differently named, they all resemble Arle's spells Fire, Ice Storm, Diacute, Brain Dumbed, Jugem, Bayoen, and Ruipanko, while Armageddon is exclusive to the GBC version of Puyo Puyo~n and thus has no animation. Puyo Puyo!! Quest adds Illusion to this list. While in her Pierrot disguise in both Pocket Puyo Puyo~n and Puyo Puyo!! Quest, she can use the same abilities.
The other Arle despises her, wanting to 'erase and replace' her, since she claims to be the real Arle, and is jealous of the attention she receives.
Madou Monogatari series
Doppelganger Arle debuted as a random enemy in the MSX, PC98, and Game Gear versions of Madou Monogatari I. The Mega Drive remake of Madou Monogatari I features a specific Doppelganger Arle named Warle who causes mischief. She is fought as a boss, and defeated by a younger Arle: this is one of the few instances of a specific Doppelganger Arle prior to Puyo Puyo~n. Another one serves the role of a helpful NPC.
In Madou Monogatari 1, she looks almost exactly like Arle. In Madou Monogatari 2 for PC98, her shoulder armor is flipped to the opposite side. Her armor was later recolored black in Madou Monogatari I Honoo No Sotsuenji.
The Shin Madou Monogatari series of novels eventually result in the formation of Arle's soul being torn in two. Satan only rescues the first half, while the other is left behind in a pocket dimension: this would be the cause of the existence of the other Doppelganger Arle, the first one to be in a Puyo Puyo game, and the most iconic one.
Doppelganger Arle is the final boss in this game. She is released from her containment by Satan at the beginning of the game. She brainwashed Satan and tried to obtain Carbuncle, drawing Arle to the Puyo Circus' tent. Meanwhile, she disguised herself as a clown known as Pierrot. While there, she confronts Arle after Satan had already subdued her friends. She is defeated and Arle regains the right to exist. Doppelganger Arle's fate is not explicitly shown, though it is said that she fades away. Afterwards, she is unlocked for use in Free Battle and Multiplayer, except on the Nintendo 64.
In Pocket Puyo Puyo~n, the scenario is slightly different: Doppelganger Arle explains why she wants to defeat Arle directly. After being defeated, she teleports Arle out of the arena to see Carbuncle. Earlier on, Pierrot is fought as the first opponent: they opt to fight without a Super Attack, putting them at a disadvantage. They choose to fight seemingly for the rush of battle, though really it's due to her attempting to impede Arle's search for Carbuncle. Both Doppelganger Arle and Pierrot are playable in this version of the game, and they have identical voice clips in battle.
Doppelganger Arle is one of the final opponents in the 20- and 30-man Scramble mode gauntlets, appearing after Schezo Wegey in both instances. She uses Puyo Puyo rule in the 20-man course and Yon rule in the 30-man course. Unlike other major characters, Doppelganger Arle does not appear in the Quest mode.
Doppelganger Arle is the final opponent of Nazo Puyo: Arle no Roux. However, she does not appear in the remade version of the game featured in Super Nazo Puyo: Rulue no Roux, instead being replaced by Rulue.
Pierrot (★3 and ★4) or Doppelganger Arle (★5 and ★6) returns as a special grant red card for the occasion of the game's 1st anniversary from April 24 2014, obtainable via inviting friends to join. This service has since ended: she is now obtained through the PuyoPoint Exchange, although players are allowed only one copy. Although she has the same ID number as Jarne, Panotty, Chico and Incubus in in-game data (for example, she is listed before Oshare Bones in the card list, like how Jarne is listed before Skeleton T and etc.), her skills and stats are very different.
- Doppelganger Arle is the first character card in Puyo Puyo!! Quest to have different names across transformation as of her release. The other being Santa Schezo.
- In all of her appearances, Doppelganger Arle shares her voice actress with Arle. Sometimes she has identical voice clips, but Puyo Puyo~n's Doppelganger Arle uses her own set of voice clips.
- Kenichi Ina, one of the story planners for Pocket Puyo Puyo~n, shared his original plans for Doppelganger Arle on his (now-offline) personal blog: Doppleganger Arle would have been half of the Madou Monogatari Arle's soul, trapped during the destruction and rebirth of the universe as described in Shin Madou Monogatari and left wandering the void for centuries before being noticed and rescued by Satan. He would have bestowed the clown costume onto Doppelganger Arle, both to suppress her powers (hence why Pierrot doesn't use a Super Attack) and to help her remain in the universe despite a rule allowing only one version of a character in the universe at a time. However, Ina noted that the staff did not like the idea of serious cutscenes in Pocket Puyo Puyo~n, and this plot was presumably dropped for that reason.
Character specific mechanics
- Puyo Puyo~n
- Void Hole: Nuisance Puyo do not fall into the player's field for 30 seconds.
- Pocket Puyo Puyo~n
- 00-None: No effect. (Pierrot)
- 06-Dark Slash: A random row in the opponent's field is changed to six Iron Puyo. (Doppelganger Arle)
- Puyo Puyo Box
- Hyper Barrier: Nuisance Puyo do not fall into the player's field for 20 seconds.
- Player Combo
|6||グランドクロス||Gurando Kurosu||Grand Cross|
- Super Attack
|ヴォイドホール||Voido Hooru||Void Hole|
- Enemy Combo
- Match Start and Result
|デジャヴ||Deja Vu||Déjà Vu|
- Player Combo
|5||グランドクロス||Gurando Kurosu||Grand Cross|
The above applies to both Doppelganger Arle and Pierrot.
Mie Sonozaki (園崎未恵)