Sonic the Hedgehog
|Sonic the Hedgehog|
Sonic, as he appears in Puyo Puyo Tetris 2.
|Other Names||Blue Blur|
|First appearance||Overall: Rad Mobile|
Franchise: Sonic the Hedgehog (1991)
Puyo: Puyo Puyo Fever (Carnival Edition)
|Latest appearance||Puyo Puyo Tetris 2|
|English||Roger Craig Smith|
|Puyo Puyo!! Quest information|
Sonic the Hedgehog (ソニック・ザ・ヘッジホッグ) is a blue hedgehog, the main protagonist of the Sonic the Hedgehog franchise, and the mascot of Sega. He is known as the Blue Blur in his games. In Puyo Puyo Tetris 2, he is one of four DLC characters added in the first update on January 14, 2021, along with Lidelle, Ms. Accord and Ocean Prince.
Sonic made his first appearance in Sonic the Hedgehog for the Genesis on June 23, 1991 where he battles Dr. Eggman across a series of zones. In addition to video games, he also appeared in other media including comics, television, and movies. His favorite food is chili dogs and he loves to go fast at the speed of light with his friends. However, he hates swimming since water is his weakness.
See the respective PPQ-namespace card pages of Sonic for the character's in-game description in Puyo Puyo!! Quest.
|"A speedy blue hedgehog who lives life by his own rules. He hates |
dishonesty and injustice, and he's not afraid to fight for what's right!"
- Before Sonic's official reveal for Puyo Puyo Tetris 2, his English voice clips were leaked on the website The Sounds Resource soon after the base game's release before being taken down in mid-December 2020. Additionally, his presence was implied by the game crediting Jun'ichi Kanemaru, Sonic's Japanese voice actor.
- Said voice clips were reuploaded to the site on January 14, 2021, coinciding with his release.
- Interestingly, Sonic's voice files contain leftovers from the first Puyo Puyo Tetris, where the voice file that would be used for his online greeting instead having Schezo's spell voice clips except the fifth, as well as his counter voice clip. A similar situation occurs with Ai.
- Prior to 2011, Sonic video games have only ever had and an English and a Japanese voice track. Starting with Sonic Generations the games got four additional voice tracks for other languages, including French, German, Italian and Spanish. Puyo Puyo Tetris 2 only has voice clips for Japanese and English voices, however.
- In Quest, all of Sonic's art is based on previous renders of the character.
- Puyo Puyo Tetris 2 marked the final time Roger Craig Smith voiced Sonic before announcing his retirement from the role on January 28, 2021.
- His losing pose in Puyo Puyo Tetris 2 bears a resemblance to his "Rank E" animation from Sonic Unleashed.
- Sonic, Feli, Sultana and Witch are the characters who all have an irregular Dropset, starting with a piece other than the I piece.
- Since Fever rule doesn't exist in Puyo Puyo Tetris 2, the Dropsets of Sonic, Marle, Squares, Legamünt and Rozatte are the only Dropsets that cannot be used within Fever rule, due to this game introducing said Dropsets.
- Sonic's Theme is "Tropical Resort Zone Act 1", which came from Sonic Colors.
- Sonic's Alternate Voice sounds deeper, and almost all of his English dialogue has changed.
Character specific mechanics
Blue: Alt. Voice
- Player Chain
|Chain 2||行くぜ！||Iku ze!||Here I go!||Here we go!|
|Chain 4||決めるぜ！||Kimeru ze!||Let's finish it!||I'm feelin' it!|
|Repeater||そこだ！||Soko da!||Right there!|
|Counter||これでどうだ！||Kore-de dou da!||How's this!?||Back at ya!|
|Spell 1||スピン||Supin||Spin||Spin Attack|
|Spell 2||ホーミング||Homingu||Homing||Homing Attack|
|Spell 4||ソニック・トーネード||Sonikku Tooneedo||Sonic Tornado||Blue Tornado|
|Spell 5||リミット・ブレイク||Rimitto Bureiku||Limit Break|
|Tetris Line Clear||テトリスだ||Tetorisu da||Tetris!|
- Enemy Attack
- Character Select/Match Result
|Character Select||オレについてこれんのか？||Ore nitsuidekoren noka||Think you can keep up with me?|
Try to keep up!
|Win||たのしいレースだったぜ～！||Tanoshii reesu datta ze!||That was a fun race!|
|Lose||ノー / くー、出直すか…||No, denaosuka||No... Let's play again!|
One more round!
- Big Bang and Endless Fever
|Entered||これで決まりだ！||Koredekimarida||Let's settle it!||That was cool.|
The party's over.
|Succeed||一気に行くぜー！||Ikini ikuze||It's go time!|
Gotta go fast!
|Failed||ノー・ウェイ！||No wei||No way!|
N-Oops! Oh well.
|Big Bang||パーティーの始まりだ！||Paatii no hajimarida||Let's start the party!|
Full speed ahead!
|Light Attack||よっと！||Yotto!||Here!||Take this!|
|Severe Attack||ちょっといたいぜ！||Chottoidaize!||This might hurt a bit!||Talk about Mean Beans!|
Oh, that hurts!
|Win||ブレークダウン||Bureekudaun||Breakdown||Let's play again sometime!|
Thanks for playin'!
|Severe Damage||ちょっとまずいな||Chottomazuina||This is getting serious.||Uh-oh!|
|Lose||やってくれたな！||Yattekuretana!||You got me!||Is this for real?|
|Swap while in disadvantage||ふー、あぶなかったぜ||Fuu, abunakattaze||That was close!|
Woah, that was too close.
|Power-up item||使ってみるか||Tsukatte miru ka.||(Guess) I'll use this!|
|Offensive item||プレゼントだ！||Purezento da!||A present!||Here you go!|
Here's a little somethin' from me.
|Getting multiple items at once||派手に行くぜー！||Hade-ni iku ze!||Let's make a show of it!||Let's do this.|
|Topping out||アイム・バ～ク！||Aimu bakku!||I'm back!|
Can't get rid of me that easily.
|Win||グレイト！最高に気分だぜ！||Gureito! saikouni kibundaze!||Great! That felt fun!||That's what I'm talkin' about!|
Hoo, that felt great!
|Be a Runner-Up||ちょっとはしり足りないか||Chotto wa shiritarinaika||I shoulda gone faster...||Oh, I was so close!|
I shoulda gone faster...
|Lose||ああ、やっちまった||Aa, yacchimatta||Aw, I've screwed it up...||It doesn't matter♪|
*sigh* You gotta be kidding me...
|Mix Chain||ミックスだ||Mikkusu da.||Mix||Time to mix it up!|
|Tetris Plus||テトリスプラス！||Tetorisu Purasu!||Tetris Plus!|
|Chaining by a Tetrimino crushing Puyo||ツイてるぜ！||tsuiteruze||Luck is on my side!|
|まだまだいくぜ！||Madamada iku ze!||Keep runnin'!|
|スピードを上げていくぜ！||Supiido-o agete iku ze!||Time to speed it up!|
|オレについてきな！||Ore-ni tsuite kina!||Try to keep up!|
|お安い御用だぜ！||O-yasui goyou da ze!||No sweat!|
- System Startup
|Boot Up 1||セガ!*||Sega!|
|Boot Up 2||テトリス！||Tetorisu!||Tetris!|
|Title Screen||ぷよぷよテトリス2!||Puyo Puyo Tetorisu 2!||Puyo Puyo Tetris 2!|
*: The "Sega" is singing by 3rd pitch downwards.