Puyo Puyo Tetris
|Puyo Puyo Tetris|
Box Art (PlayStation Vita)
|Platform||Nintendo 3DS, Wii U, PlayStation Vita, PlayStation 3, Playstation 4, Xbox One, Nintendo Switch|
|Release date||Nintendo 3DS,|
PlayStation Vita, &
Puyo Puyo Tetris (ぷよぷよテトリス, Puyo Puyo Tetorisu) is a Puyo Puyo game that is a crossover between Puyo Puyo and Tetris.
On January 12th, 2017, Sega announced that Puyo Puyo Tetris would be localized and released in the Americas and Europe, making this first game since Puyo Puyo Fever to do so.
The following characters appear in adventure mode but aren't playable characters:
- The story mode, named Adventure Mode, is a master story line spanning 7 chapters each with 10 stages. Each stage is either a battle with a COM player or a single player challenge. An additional 3 bonus chapters can be bought as DLC (included in the Nintendo Switch, PlayStation 4, and Xbox One versions), playing through the mode unlocking additional alternative voice clips, backgrounds, and Puyo and Tetris skins.
- A "Puzzle League" tab contains other game modes such as Endless Fever, Tiny Puyo, Marathon, Sprint, and others.
- The basic battle rule. Each player can choose either Puyo Puyo (using Tsu rules) or Tetris (using SRS rules). A match can start even with players choosing different modes.
- Each player swaps between Puyo Puyo and Tetris gameplay every 25 seconds. The game does not wait for the current piece to finish dropping before swapping, and the current piece will continue to drop (without player control) after the swap. Clears started before the change can combo with furthers clear in the current field, creating extra damage.
- Big Bang
- Similar to Versus, except the Puyo Puyo player is in Fever mode and the Tetris player has "Lucky Attack".
- After each round of Fever/Lucky Attack, the nuisance created will be sucked into black holes and explode in the namesake revelation. Those who created less nuisance will have nuisance crashing the field. A player is eliminated when his field is completely shattered, and the last person standing is the winner.
- The players compete for score and can use items in battle. Items can be a personal buff or a debuff sent to other players.
- In a 8x16 field, both Puyo and Tetraminoes fall following character-specific dropsets. Tetraminoes can crush stacks of Puyo and only color Puyos reappear later from the top. Similar to the Active rule in Puyo Puyo!! 20th Anniversary, the next pieces can be dropped even when a chain is in progress of clearing, or when a Tetramino is left to slowly crush Puyo.
- The dropset consists of eight Puyo drops (post-Fever), two Tetraminoes and one special drop, which can be a piece that switches repeatedly between Puyos and a Tetramino, or a golden 1-to-2-block Tetris piece.
Single Player Endless
- Endless Puyo
- Endless Fever
- Tiny Puyo
- Achieve high scores before clearing 150 lines. For every 10 lines cleared the falling speed will increase.
- Achieve best times in clearing 40 lines.
- Achieve high scores within 3 minutes.
Single Player Challenge
These challenge rules are exclusive to Adventure Mode.
- Challenge Puyo Puyo
- Get a certain score within a time limit.
- Challenge Fever
- Get a certain score before reaching a designated level, while clearing Fever patterns.
- Challenge Tiny Puyo
- Reach a certain level within a time limit, using tiny Puyos.
- Marathon Challenge
- Get a certain score before clearing a designated number of lines.
- Line Challenge
- Clear a certain number of lines within a time limit.
- Ultra Challenge
- Get a certain score within a time limit.
- This is the first Puyo Puyo game to be released in high definition.
- This is the first Puyo Puyo game along with the Tetris PlayStation game to have a PlayStation Trophies award.
- Recycled field backgrounds from Puyo Puyo!! 20th Anniversary can be seen in the Tokyo Game Show trailer.
- The new Tetris characters are named, very directly, from the Tetromino that they're based on. The exception being Ex.
- Several references to the 1988 SEGA arcade iteration of Tetris appears in this game, for example one of the backgrounds is based on the game while one of the music tracks is a remix of the game's main theme.
- Official Website (Japanese)
- Official Website (Traditional Chinese)
- Official Website (English)
- TGS Trailer
- English Trailer